The Wall will be Here:
Fitchburg July 11th through July 15th
Historic Crocker Field
Broad Street, Fitchburg, Ma 01420
- July 11th Set Up Day Crocker Field, Fitchburg Ma.
- July 12th through July 15th
- July 15th Breakdown Day 2PM.
- Setup volunteers July 11th 10AM – Setup volunteers to unload and help assemble The Wall and Education Center. No equipment required. The process to erect and dismantle The Wall requires 18-20 individuals able to carry and work with tools including wrenches and sledge hammers. While not all the team needs to be able to haul the heaviest items, the largest panels of The Wall weigh 80 pounds which is shared between two volunteers. Along the length of The Wall, there are nearly 100 fourteen-inch spikes (or 300 sandbags) which must be placed. Please consider this need when recruiting your volunteers. While youth and strength is a positive to this end, it must be tempered with experience and wisdom of others who can comprehend the meaning and importance of The Memorial. While not required, you can choose to break the volunteer crews for set-up and take-down into 3-4-hour shifts. (18/20-able-bodied volunteers for 6 – 8 hours)
- TWTH General Volunteers – Volunteers to greet visitors and assist them with visiting The Wall. You need to staff at least five (5) volunteers per shift, from 8 am – 9 pm daily. Also need a volunteer coordinator or committee chair to recruit, monitor, check in and direct volunteers. Volunteer duty coverage starts with the soft opening of The Wall on Wednesday afternoon (approximately 4 pm) and runs through closing Sunday afternoon.
- Overnight Volunteers July 12th thru July 15th – With The Wall open 24 hours the host needs to ensure that there are volunteers to greet late night visitors and stand watch for The Wall. We require three (3) volunteers per shift from approximately 8 pm to 8 am. Overnight volunteers are encouraged to bring folding chairs to use during their shift.
- Breakdown volunteers July 15th – Breakdown of The Wall requires volunteers to break down The Wall and load the trailer. (18-20 able-bodied volunteers for 5 Hours) See setup details.
Shift Length: Most sites use three or four-hour time blocks for general volunteer shifts. Overnight volunteer shifts can be any time in length, most hosts choose to do four, five or eight-hour shifts. Michele Marino will work with volunteers to cover the overnight shifts so we can accommodate everyone and provide acceptable coverage.
Volunteer training: The volunteer training session is held on Wednesday at 6:00 pm as part of set up day at The Wall. Conducted by the Site Manager, training takes place in front of The Wall, runs about an hour and all volunteers are encouraged to attend. (Handouts are provided for those unable to attend training)
Contact information below:
City of Fitchburg
14 Wallace Avenue
Fitchburg, MA 01420